The Boise State men's tennis team has been looking for a signature win for several years that would return the Broncos to their place as one of the top teams in the country. They got that win last evening over #26 Washington 4-3 at the Boise Racquet & Swim Club. Now we'll see if they can build on it.
This was one of the great matches ever played in Boise from start to finish. The first two doubles teams split, putting the all-important doubles point in the hands of the #3 duos. Garrett Patton and Fillip Pogostkin of Boise State battled Marton Bots and Matt Smith down to the wire until their match was tied at eight games apiece. A tense tiebreaker followed, with the Bronco duo prevailing 8-6.
Kyle McMorrow, the #15 player in the country, quickly tied the match up when he downed James Meredith of Boise State 6-3, 6-2. Nathan Sereke put the Broncos ahead 2-1 with his eighth straight win, a 6-3, 7-6 win over Washington's Nicholas Kamisar. Then, freshman Patton came through for Boise State with a two-set win over Viktor Farkas, both won through tie-breakers.
Andrew Bettles by this time had won his first set 6-4 before losing 3-6 in the second. But Bettles stepped up to win the deciding set 6-2 and secure the victory. Washington fell for just the second time this season, with their only other loss coming to #10 Duke.
Boise State remains home next weekend taking on Montana State and Idaho State Friday, then coming back Saturday to test their endurance against Idaho.
Boise State 4, Washington 3
Boise, Idaho - Boise Racquet and Swim Club
Feb. 4, 2012 - Attendance: 350
1. Egger/McMorrow (UW) def. Meredith/Sereke (Boise State), 8-5
2. Sears/Bettles (Boise State) def. Hawke/Manthou (UW), 8-5
3. Patton/Pogostkin (Boise State) def. Bots/Stith (UW), 9-8 (8-6)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. James Meredith (Boise State), 6-3,6-2
2. Andrew Bettles (Boise State) def. Emmett Egger (UW), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
3. Marton Bots (UW) def. Scott Sears (Boise State), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Garrett Patton (Boise State) def. Viktor Farkas (UW), 7-6 (7), 7-6 (5)
5. Nathan Sereke (Boise State) def. Nicholas Kamisar (UW), 6-3, 7-6 (1)
6. Max Manthou (UW) def. Fillip Pogostkin (Boise State), 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 4, 2, 6
Sunday, February 5, 2012
Posted by Rocketman5000 at 9:07 PM